[MSTA ] 7 Useful YouTube Channels for Science Students and Teachers

Deborah Duncan deb50duncan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 19:04:14 CST 2012

 7 Useful YouTube Channels for Science Students and
Teachers<http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2012/03/7-useful-youtube-channels-for-science.html>

Last month I posted a list of useful YouTube channels for history
teachers<http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2012/02/7-useful-youtube-channels-for-history.html>and
students. That list proved to be popular so I thought I'd follow-up with a
list of useful YouTube channels, not named Khan Academy, for science
teachers and students.

<http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TkhlSyyP58U/SKyCaoG4lSI/AAAAAAAABbQ/Qfs_DpL54C0/s320/Picture+1.png>
The Periodic Table of Videos <http://www.youtube.com/user/periodicvideos> is
a YouTube channel produced by The University of
Nottingham<http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/>.
One of the more useful playlists in the channel is The
Elements<http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL469BCC7F7C088F3A&feature=plcp>.
The
table features a video demonstration of the characteristics of elements in
the Periodic Table of Elements. In all there are 390 videos divided into 24
playlists about the work of chemists at the university.

Science Bob <http://www.sciencebob.com/index.php> is a helpful website
featuring science fair project ideas for elementary school and middle
school students. Science Bob also has aYouTube
channel<http://www.youtube.com/user/ScienceBob> that
offers some demonstrations of science experiments and science lessons.

<http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/uploads/images/20120131-spangler-effect-eddy-small.jpg>I
covered this a couple of weeks ago, but it's worth mentioning again. The
Spangler Effect<http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/the-spangler-effect.html>is
a new YouTube channel from Steve Spangler
Science<http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/>.
Unlike his popular Sick
Science<http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC02CFDE5690E4010&feature=plcp>
videos
which are no more than short demonstrations of science experiments students
and parents can do at home, The Spangler
Effect<http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSpanglerEffect?feature=watch>videos
offer longer (15 minutes or so) explanations of science experiments. The
Spangler Effect videos explain the science of do-it-yourself experiments
and how you can recreate those experiments at home or in your classroom.

Science/Math Concepts<http://www.youtube.com/user/Papapodcasts/videos?view=pl>
with
Mr. P is a teacher-produced channel of more than 600 video lessons
organized into 40 playlists. You can learn more about Mr. P at Chemistry
PapaPodcasts <http://papapodcasts.blogspot.com/>. Don't let the name fool
you, the channel is more than just chemistry lessons.

<http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TfZ0W4_HtXA/T0_N4QtInBI/AAAAAAAAJUk/VX1T7Bv3Jjo/s1600/brightstorm.png>
Bright Storm is a company that I've covered before when writing about
online mathematics help. Bright Storm's YouTube
channel<http://www.youtube.com/user/brightstorm2#g/p> offers
video lessons for biology, chemistry, and physics. The videos are nothing
more than an instructor lecturing with a whiteboard for a few minutes which
could be adequate if a student just needs a refresher on a science topic.

<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QWhVABE1EeY/TcgoUHfzUkI/AAAAAAAAINI/f3GR5uGcUpI/s1600/Screen+shot+2011-05-09+at+1.30.20+PM.png>
NASA <http://www.nasa.gov/> has a few different YouTube channels, but the
one that has the most universal utility for teachers and students is NASA
eClips <http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAeClips>. NASA eClips is organized
according to grade level with playlists intended for elementary school,
middle school, and high school. I've embedded one of the eClips below.

<http://www.open.edu/includes/headers-footers/oulogo-56.jpg>
The Open University another resource that I've previously written about in
other contexts. Most recently I wrote about their free Frozen Planet
feature on the arctic and antarctic
regions<http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2012/01/frozen-planet-interactive-exploration.html>.
The Open University YouTube
channel<http://www.youtube.com/user/OUlearn/videos?view=pl>contains
many playlists on a wide variety of topics in science. Here's one of their
science playlists about DNA and
RNA<http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96505992640F7B65&feature=plcp>
.

http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2012/03/7-useful-youtube-channels-for-science.html#.T0_TS2qAfc0.facebook