[MSTA ] Fwd: Organizing websites

Deborah Duncan phy2chem at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 10:41:19 CST 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <r.spillman at comcast.net>
Date: Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 1:13 AM
Subject: Re: Organizing websites
To: Rebecca Buzzell <rbuzzell at nottingham.k12.nh.us>
Cc: DianaLyn Perkins <dperkins at coppellisd.com>, Lena Abedrabbo <
labedrabbo at crescentacademy.org>, generalscience at list.nsta.org, Karen
Delgado <kdelgado at embarqmail.com>

Keeing track of websites as they relate to lessons continues to be a big
challenge for me.  I'd like to share a couple of things that I've found
useful.

First, I've fallen in love with www.symbaloo.com, a website that offers a
free method for storing your bookmarks online in a somewhat graphical
fashion.  That works well for me since I use 2 computers (home and school)
and keeping the bookmarks up to date is tedius.  Symbaloo solves that by
keeping all bookmarks in one location online, accessible by any computer.
It is password protected and free.

It is arranged so that there are separate pages for as many topics as you
would like to set up.  I set mine up so that the various subjects are
separate pages (e.g., Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, etc.).  I like the
visual nature of the bookmarking, which allows you to set the color, title
and image on each "button."  A screenshot is shown:

You can move tiles, change colors, etc.  A real surprise for me was that
you can make any of these pages public, thereby creating whole pages of
useful links for anyone to use.  You tag the page with keywords and others
can search the available pages using their own keywords.  I was astounded
at some of the sites I found for Chemistry, Physics, Photoshop and Travel.
It is a treasure trove of information that, for me, is visually appealing
and easy to use.

A second technique I use is a spreadsheet.  I copy and paste links in one
column, subject area in another, brief explanation in a third, and rating
in a fourth.  One Excel speadsheet contains all my lesson-useful links that
I can sort, find, and launch from within Excel.  For me, the system works
well and it allows a much simpler organization than the Favorites tool in
Internet Explorer.

Bob