[MSTA ] Fwd: 24 March 2012 Science Sites of the Week

Deborah Duncan phy2chem at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 14:10:49 CDT 2012

This looks interesting.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mark Francek <mark.francek at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 6:35 AM
Subject: 24 March 2012 Science Sites of the Week
To: generalscience at list.nsta.org

Hello Everyone,

This week’s 24 March 2012 Science Sites of the Week feature the following
resources:

Editor’s Picks: **1) Weather History, 2) 100 Year Anniversary - The
Iceberg’s Accomplice: Did the Moon [Help] Sink the Titanic? 3) Evolution of
the Moon & Tour of the Moon site ***4) Young Americans Less Interested in
the Environment than Previous Generations ***5) Interactive Science
Simulations, 6) Christmas 2012.

*Geosphere
*1. How Many Continents are There?

*Weather
*1. Weather History

2. How Forecasters Develop Hurricanes ‘Cone of Uncertainty’

*Water*

1. The Iceberg’s Accomplice: Did the Moon [Help] Sink the Titanic?
*Space
*1. First Stars were Spinning Tops

2. Evolution of the Moon & Tour of the Moon site
*Environmental
*1. Animals Moving More Quickly from Warming

2. Young Americans Less Interested in the Environment than Previous
Generations
*General
*1. Interactive Science Simulations

*Demos*

1. Can You Follow Directions?

*Teaching
*1. Music Video: We’ve Got to be that Light-A Gift to America’s Teachers

*Humor *

1. Christmas 2012

*Geosphere*

*Site Name*

How Many Continents are There?

*Site URL*

http://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/faq/geography.html

*Site Author*

National Geographic

*Suggested by*

Alice Kasten

*Description*

“This video debates on how many continents there are or should be. The
answer depends largely on where you’re from and what you do in life.”

*Weather*

*Site Name*

Weather History

*Site URL*

http://www.wunderground.com/history/

*Site Author*

Weather Underground

*Suggested by*

Martin Schmidt

*Description*

“One can collect data on historical rainfall. It can be for a day, week,
month, or "custom" will let you get a total for any amount of time.”  Data

* *

*Site Name*

How Forecasters Develop Hurricanes ‘Cone of Uncertainty’

*Site URL*

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/24/how-forecasters-develop-hurricanes-cone-of-uncertainty/

*Site Author*

CNN

*Suggested by*

Alice Kasten

*Description*

“It sounds like something out of the Austin Power movies or Robert DeNiro’s
“circle of trust” in the Focker movies, but in the world of hurricanes the
“Cone of Uncertainty” is just that; as the forecast goes out in time, the
exact location of the hurricane becomes less certain.  Therefore the
official forecast from the National Hurricane Center paints an area around
the expected track to reflect the average error of the forecast.”

* *

*Water*

*Site Name*

The Iceberg’s Accomplice: Did the Moon [Help] Sink the Titanic?

*Site URL*

http://www.txstate.edu/news/news_releases/news_archive/2012/March-2012/Titanic030512.html

*Site Author*

Jayme Blaschke, University News Service, Texas State University

*Suggested by*

Lou Estey

*Description*

"The sinking of the ocean liner Titanic 100 years ago is perhaps the most
famous--and most studied--disaster of the 20th century. [...] One question,
however, has often been overlooked: Where did the killer iceberg come from,
and could the moon have helped set the stage for disaster?"

* *

*Space*

* *

*Site Name*

First Stars were Spinning Tops

*URL*

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/04/first-stars-were-spinning-tops.html

*Author*

Yudhijit Bhattacharjee

*Suggested by*

Jordan Makower

*Description*

“The first stars born in the universe are believed to have been massive
objects, up to hundreds of times bigger than the sun. They were also
spinning tops or "spinstars," according to a new study, that spent their
lives whirling at incredible speeds. If true, astronomers may one day be
able to glimpse the final days of these early suns.”

* *

*Site Name*

Evolution of the Moon & Tour of the Moon site

*Site URL*

http://www.youtube.com/embed/UIKmSQqp8wY

and

http://www.youtube.com/embed/2iSZMv64wuU

*Site Author*

LRO team, Goddard Space Flight Center, NASA

*Suggested by*

Lou Estey

*Description*

These are two related videos, both produced from image data obtained from
the latest high-resolution mapping of the Moon by the Lunar Reconnaissance
Orbiter (LRO), which has been in orbit around the Moon since late June
2009.  To get the most out of the two videos, my suggestion [Lou Estey’s]
is to first view the Evolution video, then the Tour video, and then go back
and rewatch the Evolution video.  Be sure to go full screen for both!

* *

*Environmental *

*Site Name*

Animals Moving More Quickly from Warming

*Site URL*

http://news.discovery.com/animals/animals-migrating-north-global-warming-110818.html

*Site Author*

Ted Aljibe

*Suggested by*

Charles Burrows

*Description*

“Animals are fleeing global warming much faster than they were less than a
decade ago.”

* *

*Site Name*

Young Americans Less Interested in the Environment than Previous Generations

*Site URL*

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/young-americans-less-interested-in-the-environment-than-previous-generations/2012/03/15/gIQAGio1ES_story.html

*Site Author*

Washington Post

*Suggested by*

Joseph Kerski

*Description*

“They have a reputation for being environmentally minded do-gooders. But an
academic analysis of surveys spanning more than 40 years has found that
today’s young Americans are less interested in the environment and in
conserving resources — and often less civic-minded overall — than their
elders were when they were young.”

* *

*General *

*Site Name*

Interactive Science Simulations

*Site URL*

http://phet.colorado.edu/

*Site Author*

University of Colorado

*Suggested by*

Judy Smith

*Description*

“Fun, interactive, research-based simulations of physical phenomena from
the PhET project at the University of Colorado.”

* *

*Demos*

*Site Name*

Can You Follow Directions?

*Site URL*

http://www.challengerlearningcenter.com/Mars/teachers/FDCanYouFollowDirections.pdf

*Site Author*

Challenge Learning Center

*Suggested by*

Thomas McGuire

*Description*

“If you do this correctly, you will change the name of an American
President into the name of a country in Europe.”

* *

*Teaching*

*Site Name*

Music Video: We’ve Got to be that Light-A Gift to America’s Teachers

*Site URL*

http://blogontheuniverse.org/2011/08/25/music-video-weve-got-to-be-that-light-a-gift-to-americas-teachers/

*Site Author*

Dr. Jeff

*Suggested by*

Cris DeWolf

*Description*

“A heartfelt thank you to teachers across America for their unwavering
dedication to the next generation.”

Lyrics—We’ve Got to be That Light

Every generation must pass on
The wisdom of the previous generations
If we don’t keep the next chain connected to the ones that came before it
It’s all gone

And who’s the glue between those chains?
It’s you, it’s you

This is a sacred trust
As educators and parents
A sacred trust
We’ve got to be that light

We’ve got to be that light
That shining light that guides the way
We’ve got to be that light
That shining light that guides the way

A classroom is a sacred place
It’s not a room in a school
It’s any place
Any place where a teacher helps a child
Patiently and artfully
In their journey

In this sacred place
We must nurture the gift of a question
In this sacred place
The teacher lights the way

This is a sacred trust
As educators and parents
A sacred trust
We’ve got to be that light

We’ve got to be that light
That shining light that guides the way
We’ve got to be that light
That shining light that guides the way

We have to ensure
That testing serves education
We have to ensure
That education does not serve testing

We as a nation now
Are teaching to the test
We as a nation now
Are beating all of the joy out of our classrooms

The book of knowledge is not written in our genes
What’s written in our genes is the journey
We should be nurturing that gift of a question
We should help frame that pathway to an answer

The teacher’s the guide
It’s a student’s classroom
It’s a student’s classroom
They are remarkable explorers

This is a sacred trust
As educators and parents
A sacred trust
We’ve got to be that light

We’ve got to be that light
That shining light that guides the way
We’ve got to be that light
That shining light that guides the way

* *

*Humor*

*Site Name*

Christmas 2012

*Site URL*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvM-I0j5emA&feature=fvsr

*Site Author*

YouTube user: earthsphere

*Suggested by*

Tim Wozniak

*Description*

“How social media, web and mobile tell the story of the Nativity.”

Mark Francek
Professor of Geography
Dow 285
Central Michigan University
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859

E-Mail: Mark.Francek at cmich.edu
Phone: (989) 774 7617   Fax: (989) 774-2907

Fall 2011 Office Hours: MW 12-2:30 or by appointment
Resource Page: http://webs.cmich.edu/resgi