[MSTA ] Fwd: FW: Teachers Needed to Pilot Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) version of Rice University's STEMscopes science curriculum

Deborah Duncan deb50duncan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 19:45:11 CDT 2013

Dear K-12 Science Teachers,

We are looking for K-12 science teachers across the nation to pilot the
Next Generation Science Standards version of the STEMscopesT science
curriculum.  Participation in this pilot is an exciting opportunity for
teachers to contribute to the effectiveness of the curriculum, benefiting
not only your own students, but also students nationwide.  As an incentive
for participation, teachers will receive $100 for each lesson reviewed that
is returned to us with quality feedback.

STEMscopesT is a comprehensive online science curriculum that provides
numerous hands-on inquiry activities, including intervention and enrichment
resources, plus teacher support materials. Rice University has aligned the
curriculum to NGSS so it can be used at the national level to benefit all
students and teachers.

STEMscopesT can help your school or district by providing research-based
Rice University-developed resources that support rigorous, student-centered
STEM learning through inquiry-based, hands-on science learning activities.
By
providing the STEMscopesT team with quality feedback, teachers will help
the us ensure that the NGSS version meets both our high standards for rigor
and the needs of teachers and students, and that it can be implemented in
classrooms across the nation.

Teachers participating in this pilot will be required to provide high
quality descriptive feedback on their experiences teaching with the
curriculum. In particular, we are interested in teachers' experiences with
the "inquiry and practices" and "assessment" features of the curriculum
within a 3-week timeframe. We would like for teachers to start reviewing
the curriculum starting on September 1, 2013.  Teachers may review as many
lessons as they are able to fit into their scope and sequence, provided
that feedback is of high quality and returned within the specified time
frame.

The STEMscopesT curriculum team understands the practical realities of
conducting pilots with schools and educators.  The team is also aware of
the considerable demands on teachers' time and appreciates your thoughtful
consideration of this effort.  Please contact Sandra Guzman Foster, Ph.D.,
Project Manager for the STEMscopes pilot at sfoster at stemscopes.com if you
have questions regarding this pilot or if you would like to participate.  If
you are interested in participating, please include the following in your
email:  1) your full name, 2) the grade level you teach, (if you are a
secondary teacher, the science area you teach (physical science, earth
science, biology), etc.), and 3) an email address and a phone number where
you can be reached.

Sandra L. Guzman Foster, Ph.D.
Project Manager
STEMscopes
sfoster at stemscopes.com

I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which
they can learn. -- Albert Einstein