[MSTA ] 15 Free Tools for Storing and Sharing Files

Deborah Duncan deb50duncan at gmail.com
Fri May 3 18:24:11 CDT 2013

 15 Free Tools for Storing and Sharing Files
 Six months ago I shared a list of good file sharing tools for teachers and
students. Since then, I've come across some more tools to add to that list.
Here is my new list of file sharing tools for students and teachers. Using
these tools can help you avoid having an email inbox that is overflowing
with file attachments.

*The tools that I frequently use:*
<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-69R2lTODXhE/T9d3Nl-1b2I/AAAAAAAAKlY/fLq5MGhLBoE/s1600/Screen+Shot+2012-06-12+at+1.03.33+PM.png>
I use Google Documents <http://drive.google.com/> and Google Drive for
nearly all of my document storage needs. Google Documents (now a part of
Google Drive) is best known for document, presentation, and spreadsheet
creation. But you can also use Google Drive just to upload and store files
that you have created elsewhere. And all of your files can be shared
publicly or privately with others. Google Drive provides 5GB of storage for
free.

<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-al-gave63Pw/T5XEymiTXGI/AAAAAAAAJ5Y/dlDkRFWJNQk/s1600/Screen+Shot+2012-04-23+at+5.00.09+PM.png>The
other tool that I frequently use for collecting, storing, and sharing files
is Dropbox <http://dropbox.com/>. In April Dropbox
<http://www.dropbox.com/> got
in on the easy file sharing game by introducing a "get link" feature. Theis
option allows you to publish to the web any file that is in your Dropbox
account. To publish files to the web from your Dropbox account simply click
"get link" next to your file's name and a URL for your file will be
generated. Give that URL to anyone you want to view your file. People
accessing that URL will be able to see the file and its contents but will
not be able to edit or delete any of the file's contents. Publishing isn't
limited to just one file at a time, you can publish an entire folder from
your Dropbox account with one link.

<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TkhlSyyP58U/TNntdbAJ0bI/AAAAAAAAHl4/vA6rtB1Lhao/s1600/Screen+shot+2010-11-09+at+6.12.44+PM.png>
DROPitTOme <http://www.dropitto.me/> is a free service that works with
Dropbox <https://www.dropbox.com/> to allow people to upload files to your
Dropbox account without giving them access to the contents of your Dropbox
account. DROPitTOme <http://www.dropitto.me/> works by synchronizing with
your Dropbox account. After connecting the two services
DROPitTOme<http://www.dropitto.me/> provides
a url that you can give to others to upload files to your Dropbox account.
You must specify a password that has to be entered before an upload can
take place. Give the url and password to those people you want to be able
to upload files to your Dropbox account.

<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TkhlSyyP58U/S7ZRsbCCuMI/AAAAAAAAGJI/dagq_qYPsyo/s400/Picture+10.png>
File Dropper <http://www.filedropper.com/> is the file sharing tool that I
have used longer than any of the tool on this list. It's a free and very
easy way to share files up to 5GB. To use File Dropper simply upload your
file and File Dropper assigns it a unique URL that you can then share with
anyone. File Dropper <http://www.filedropper.com/> is not nearly as
feature-rich as some of the other file hosting and sharing services, but it
is free and upload times are fast.

*Other file sharing tools that I have tried.*
Just because I don't use these on a regular basis doesn't mean they're not
good, I just don't need to use more than what I listed above.

<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1j4-B9xn0uI/ThUj2xFJMkI/AAAAAAAAIXc/D65JNUTXBCU/s1600/filestork.png>File
Stork <https://filestork.net/> is a tool that works with
Dropbox<http://dropbox.com/>and allows
you to collect files in two ways. You can make an individual file request
by sending an email to someone. The other way, and the more practical way
for teachers, is to create a "stand alone" request which will allow you to
post an upload link on your blog or website. Visitors can then use that
link to upload a file to your Dropbox where you can view it and download it
if you like. File Stork allows you to specify an upload password and allows
you to specify which types of files you will allow to be uploaded to your
Dropbox. People uploading files to your Dropbox through File Stork do not
have access to any of the files in your account.

<http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Fqq2emg_eOk/TjdJPWMGQsI/AAAAAAAAIa8/T1QcneQ1vdY/s1600/uploader_box.png>Uploader
Box <http://www.uploaderbox.com/> is a free service for sharing large files
with your friends and colleagues. To use the service just upload a file
from your computer, enter your email address, and enter the email addresses
of your intended recipients. Once your file is uploaded, Uploader Box will
provide you with two urls. One of the urls is for sharing your file and the
other is for deleting your file if you decide you no longer want to share
it.

<http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7ZGTG3c8mv8/TdmtVjh_hsI/AAAAAAAAIPs/wrdAXP70b2g/s1600/pileus.png>Go
Pileus <http://gopileus.com/> is a simple free service for quickly sharing
files. To use Go Pileus <http://gopileus.com/> just drag a file from your
desktop to the Go Pileus page in your browser. Alternatively, you can
select upload on Go Pileus to browse for files on your computer. Once your
chosen file is uploaded Go Pileus will create a short url for your file.
Share that url with the people you want to be able to view and save your
file. You can use Go Pileus without creating an account, but your files
expire after thirty minutes. Creating an account on Go Pileus will allow
your files to be accessible longer.

<http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AjpT-Jov7AA/TVnaVsWycuI/AAAAAAAAH6o/mrqlIR-j6Us/s1600/Screen+shot+2011-02-14+at+8.35.23+PM.png>
Minus <http://min.us/> (Min.us <http://min.us/>) provides a simple way to
share files with anyone. To use Minus just drag a file onto the blank Minus
canvas. Once your file is on the canvas Minus will provide you with links
to share your file with others. Minus will also generate a HTML code that
you can use to embed your file into a blog or website. Those people with
whom you share the url for your file can also download your file.

<http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TkhlSyyP58U/TPmJQOtYn0I/AAAAAAAAHqs/BcLY7YQsQGA/s1600/Screen+shot+2010-12-03+at+7.16.50+PM.png>Let's
Crate <http://letscrate.com/> is a very easy to use file sharing service.
To use Let's Crate <http://letscrate.com/> just drag a file from your
desktop to the Let's Crate <http://letscrate.com/> page. Let's Crate then
creates a unique url that you can send to others so that they can access
your file. The unique url expires after 30 minutes unless you create a free
Let's Crate account in which case you can keep files on Let's Crate as long
as you need them.

<http://justbeamit.com/static/images/logo.png>
Just Beam It <http://justbeamit.com/> is a service for quickly and easily
sharing files with your colleagues. To use the service just visit
Justbeamit.com <http://justbeamit.com/> and drag a file from your desktop
to the Just Beam It transfer box. After dragging your file, Just Beam It
generates an unique url for your file. Give that link to the person or
people you want to be able to download your files.

<http://forgetbox.com/ressources/img/logo-small-small_beta.png>
Forget Box <http://forgetbox.com/> is a service for sharing large files and
collections of files with just a click or two. Forget Box is a not a web
app, you do have to install the free Forget Box software on your desktop.
With Forget Box installed, right-click on the file(s) you want to share,
select a contact from your address book, and send off the file. Your
recipient will receive an email with a link to download the file(s) you've
shared. Forget Box doesn't have any stated file size limitations.

<http://bayfiles.com/img/logo_s.png>
Bay Files <http://bayfiles.com/>, like the similar services on this list,
allows you to upload a file for quick and easy sharing. When you upload a
file to Bay Files, Bay Files generates a series of download links that you
can give to the people you want to access your files. So instead of sending
an email with a big file attachment you can just direct people to the
download link associated with your file. You can use Bay
Files<http://bayfiles.com/> without
registering, but if you do choose to register you can share larger files
than can unregistered users.

<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kxAR1VNcJ38/T86ECr9IBNI/AAAAAAAAKgo/Z_YYkxhJscY/s1600/dropcanvas.png>Drop
Canvas <http://www.dropcanvas.com/> is a service offering very simple file
sharing. To share a file with someone just go to Dropcanvas.com and drag
files from your desktop onto the Dropcanvas screen. You can drop multiple
files onto the canvas if you want to. As soon as you have dropped files
onto the canvas a url is created for your files or set of files. You can
email that url, Tweet it, Facebook it, or post it on your blog. Anyone
using that URL can view your shared files and download them.

<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CshlumF7cig/T9C_9-gl3bI/AAAAAAAAKic/VAhp6q3xPtw/s1600/Screen+Shot+2012-06-07+at+10.48.16+AM.png>
Dropmark <http://dropmark.com/> is a service offering a simple platform for
private and public file sharing. To use Dropmark <http://dropmark.com/> you
do have to create an account. Once you have your account established you
can simply drag files from your desktop onto a blank collection screen in
your account. Once your files are in a collection you can make that
collection public and share the url assigned to it. Alternatively, you can
keep your collection private and share it only with people you invite.
Within your Dropmark account you can create multiple collections.

<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7rOVdroG0YA/T9d-CBNBQiI/AAAAAAAAKlk/NKFUwAC-eNU/s1600/Screen+Shot+2012-06-12+at+1.35.43+PM.png>
Sugar Sync <https://www.sugarsync.com/> offers a free
plan<https://www.sugarsync.com/signup?startsub=5> that
allows you to store up to 5GB worth of files. You can sync multiple
computers and mobile devices to your Sugar Sync account. Sugar Sync can be
used on your computer and or Android phone, iPhone, Blackberry, and Windows
Mobile phone. With Sugar Sync you can access your files anytime you can get
online. You can also send and share files from any device you use to get
online. Like Dropbox, Sugar Sync can be used to share files and folders
with others by sharing a public link for others to use to access your files
without having to register for an account.
http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2012/06/15-free-tools-for-collecting-storing.html#.UYRGkbWG2Sp