[MSTA ] FW: FDA Summer Professional Development Program in Food Safety

Aleta Sullivan asullivan at prcc.edu
Thu Mar 20 14:29:10 CDT 2014

________________________________
From: Mimi Cooper [mimicooper at verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:44 PM
To: Mimi Cooper
Subject: FDA Summer Professional Development Program in Food Safety

A Fantastic Summer Opportunity for Science, Health, and Family and Consumer Science Teachers

Foodborne disease outbreaks and food recalls frequent the news. What organisms cause these diseases? What can an individual do to protect themselves from these diseases? What measures are being taken by the federal government to prevent transmission of these diseases?

Science, health, and family and consumer science teachers have an opportunity to provide inquiry-based lessons related to these outbreaks and recalls.  Lessons can be found in the curriculum Science and Our Food Supply developed jointly by FDA and NSTA. And, in order to prepare teachers to use these lessons, FDA provides a free multidimensional professional development program that will take place July 20 – 27, 2014 in Washington, DC. Included in the program are transportation to and from Washington and all housing and meal expenses.

During the program, selected teachers will participate in activities such as the following - meet with FDA and USDA scientists to learn about their current research on foodborne diseases; work with instructors at the microbiology lab at the University of Maryland to learn proper techniques to use in doing microbiology labs with their own students; and, tour USDA’s farm in Beltsville, MD.

Selected teachers are asked to implement the curriculum in their classrooms during the 2014 – 2015 school year and to do a workshop on the curriculum for other teachers.  All of the teachers will attend an Enhancement Training during the NSTA area conference in Long Beach, CA on December 4 – 6, 2014 - again, all expenses paid.

To apply on line – deadline April 25, 2014 - go to: http://teachfoodscience.org/apply.asp

Our middle level and high school teacher guides are currently being revised. If you would like a PDF of either or both 2007 guides, just let me know and I will be glad to send either or both to you. We strongly suggest you review the guide before applying for the summer workshop.

For more information or to request the guides, contact Mimi Cooper at mimicooper at verizon.net<mailto:mimicooper at verizon.net>.
Please feel free to share this information with your colleagues.

Regards,
Mimi

Mimi Cooper
FDA Summer Program Facilitator