[MSTA ] FW: Spongelab Presents: Fact or Fiction?

Aleta Sullivan asullivan at prcc.edu
Mon Mar 31 12:46:34 CDT 2014

________________________________
From: Dave Rowe [david.rowe at spongelab.com]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2014 11:51 AM
To: Aleta Sullivan
Subject: Spongelab Presents: Fact or Fiction?

Spongelab March - Science fact or fiction

Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser<http://t.ymlp286.net/wesbavaujswsazabwalauqwhb/click.php>.

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/header_3_2014.png] <http://t.ymlp286.net/weshavaujswsaaabwacauqwhb/click.php>

March Newsletter

Goodbye winter! March officially marks the beginning of spring, and with April right around the corner we here at Spongelab have prepared some scientific April Fools' tricks to (hopefully!) fool you with.

Science Fact or Fiction?

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/duckbill.png]<http://t.ymlp286.net/weswacaujswsafabwacauqwhb/click.php>

Did you know that the duckbilled platypus was originally viewed as a hoax when the first specimens were received by British naturalists?<http://t.ymlp286.net/weswacaujswsafabwacauqwhb/click.php>

The world of science is full of the wonderful, the weird, and the wacky. With April Fools' Day right around the corner, we thought it might be fun to see if you can separate science fact from science fiction. The answers can be found at the bottom of this newsletter.

1) Which of these animals is the real McCoy, the fur bearing trout, or the fur bearing lobster?

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/furryanimal.png]
Furry trout image by Samantha Marx, Johannesburg, South Africa. Furry Lobster image by Ifremer/A. Fifis.

2) Are human beings taller in space?

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/shuttle.png]

3) Lemmings supposedly follow their dogged migrations to the point where many effectively commit suicide by falling en mass off cliffs. Fact or fiction?

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/lemming.png]

4) Dogs are only capable of seeing in black and white. Fact or fiction?

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/dog.png]

5) Humans only use about 10% of their brain. Fact or fiction?

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/brain.png]

Test your biology knowledge with Knowledge Mine!

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/kmfinal.png]<http://t.ymlp286.net/wesqaaaujswsapabwavauqwhb/click.php>

If you found those questions too easy, try Knowledge Mine<http://t.ymlp286.net/wesqaaaujswsapabwavauqwhb/click.php> to truly test your knowledge of biology!

Help Healthy Minds Canada get their game released!

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/healthyminds.png]<http://t.ymlp286.net/wesyafaujswsatabwatauqwhb/click.php>

Healthy Minds Canada has been hard at work on a new mobile game<http://t.ymlp286.net/wesyafaujswsatabwatauqwhb/click.php> which aims to tackle the issue of empathy and bullying for 9-16 year olds. The app will reward players with points that can later be deemed as currency at a variety of online stores for goods and services enjoyed in everyday life. Additionally, they will periodically survey the user as the game progresses, using the results to analyze and gauge the changes in empathetic responses. As additional incentive, points will also be rewarded to complete these surveys.

If this game sounds interesting, help fund its development!<http://t.ymlp286.net/wesyafaujswsatabwatauqwhb/click.php>

Answers to the above questions:

1) The furry lobster is a real creature, a type of crustacean so distinct that scientists have created a new taxonomic family for it,<http://t.ymlp286.net/weusacaujswsatabwavauqwhb/click.php> whereas the furry trout is a hoax<http://t.ymlp286.net/weuuaoaujswsanabwacauqwhb/click.php>.

2) Because there is no gravity in space, the vertebrae of an astronaut is not constricted by gravity,<http://t.ymlp286.net/weueaxaujswsaaabwagauqwhb/click.php> which means that while in space, they might be up to two inches taller!

3) No, lemmings do not naturally engage in migrational mass suicide<http://t.ymlp286.net/weumafaujswsaiabwacauqwhb/click.php>, this is apparently a misconception created and perpetuated by the Disney film "White Wilderness".

4) Dogs are not limited to black and white vision, but are however dichromats, meaning they have color vision equivalent to red-green color blindness in humans<http://t.ymlp286.net/weujaraujswsapabwalauqwhb/click.php>.

5) Actually, the physiology of brain mapping would suggest that we do use all of our brains<http://t.ymlp286.net/weubafaujswsaoabwakauqwhb/click.php>. This is supported by a large body of evidence, such as the fact that if physical damage happens to any part of the brain, behavioural and psychological effects are observable in the subject.

USE - CREATE - SHARE - PLAY
Go to spongelab.com<http://t.ymlp286.net/weshavaujswsaaabwacauqwhb/click.php>, register for a free account.

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/icon_facebook.png]
Like on Facebook<http://t.ymlp286.net/weuhazaujswsaxabwaoauqwhb/click.php>

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/icon_twitter.png]
Follow on Twitter<http://t.ymlp286.net/weuwaoaujswsafabwatauqwhb/click.php>

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/edmodo.png]
Our Edmodo Feed<http://t.ymlp286.net/weuqanaujswsaxabwaoauqwhb/click.php>

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/chromeapp.png]
Get the Chrome App<http://t.ymlp286.net/weuyataujswsadabwalauqwhb/click.php>

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/pintrest.png]
Our Pintrest page<http://t.ymlp286.net/weesalaujswsacabwafauqwhb/click.php>

[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/googleplus.png]
Our Google+ page<http://t.ymlp286.net/weeuaraujswsaoabwalauqwhb/click.php>

Spongelab Partners
[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/healthymindsside.png]<http://t.ymlp286.net/wesyafaujswsatabwatauqwhb/click.php>

Healthy Minds Canada has been hard at work on a new mobile game<http://t.ymlp286.net/wesyafaujswsatabwatauqwhb/click.php> which aims to tackle the issue of empathy and bullying for 9-16 year olds. The app will reward players with points that can later be deemed as currency at a variety of online stores for goods and services enjoyed in everyday life.

If this game sounds interesting, help fund its development!<http://t.ymlp286.net/wesyafaujswsatabwatauqwhb/click.php>

Spongelab News
[http://corporate.spongelab.com/newsletter/images/spongenews-01.png]
Spongelab Co-founder Jeremy Friendberg discusses the procedure behind edtech platform design and game philosophy.<http://t.ymlp286.net/weeealaujswsazabwaxauqwhb/click.php>

How digital games are creating new learning experiences<http://t.ymlp286.net/weemaoaujswsakabwapauqwhb/click.php>, such as Spongelab!

Do you use Edmodo like millions of other teachers, students and parents? Check out Spongelab's content collection<http://t.ymlp286.net/weuqanaujswsaxabwaoauqwhb/click.php> on the popular education-based social network so you can use quality, accurate science multimedia for your learning.

If you're logged into Spongelab<http://t.ymlp286.net/weejafaujswsaaabwalauqwhb/click.php>, we've created a "Recommended Content" list that appears on the homepage, helping you to find content for class faster. This list is populated based on who you follow as well as what types of content you use most.

Spongelab's Pinterest<http://t.ymlp286.net/weesalaujswsacabwafauqwhb/click.php> brings together all of our most amazing science games, images, videos and animations. Check out our incredible boards<http://t.ymlp286.net/weesalaujswsacabwafauqwhb/click.php> for science inspiration and ideas!

>>Promo
Enter APRILFOOLS when registering<http://t.ymlp286.net/weebafaujswsakabwaxauqwhb/click.php> for a free Spongelab account & get 300 credits.

Users with an account can also claim these credits here.<http://t.ymlp286.net/weehapaujswsatabwakauqwhb/click.php>

 follow on Twitter<http://t.ymlp286.net/weuwaoaujswsafabwatauqwhb/click.php> | like on Facebook<http://t.ymlp286.net/weuhazaujswsaxabwaoauqwhb/click.php> |  check out our Pintrest<http://t.ymlp286.net/weesalaujswsacabwafauqwhb/click.php> |  try our Chrome app<http://t.ymlp286.net/weewataujswsagabwatauqwhb/click.php> | see our Newsletters<http://t.ymlp286.net/weeqafaujswsanabwaxauqwhb/click.php>

Contact Spongelab Interactive:
416-703-9753
contact at spongelab.com<http://t.ymlp286.net/weeyalaujswsakabwalauqwhb/click.php>

Postal Address:
590 King Street West, Suite 201
Toronto, Ontario, M5V 1M3, Canada
Map<http://t.ymlp286.net/wemsavaujswsalabwavauqwhb/click.php>

Copyright © 2014 Spongelab Interactive - All rights reserved.