[MSTA ] FW: Project Polar Bear Contest Announcement for Environmental Educators and Science Teachers

Aleta Sullivan asullivan at prcc.edu
Thu Sep 4 10:46:59 CDT 2014

________________________________
From: Debra Veeder [dveeder at mswf.org]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2014 10:15 AM
To: dveeder at mswf.org
Subject: FW: Project Polar Bear Contest Announcement for Environmental Educators and Science Teachers

From: Kathleen Donahue [mailto:projectpolarbear at pbears.org]
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 4:01 PM
To: Project Polar Bear

To Environmental Education and Science Teacher Organizations:

Every year, Project Polar Bear challenges teams of young leaders (ages 11-18 in the U.S. and Canada) to develop local community projects that reduce the carbon dioxide load in the atmosphere in one of three categories: Saving Energy, Zero Garbage or Transportation. This contest is sponsored by Polar Bears International (PBI), the world's leading polar bear conservation group—dedicated to saving polar bears by saving their sea ice habitat. Our focus is on research, education, and action.

We would be thrilled if you would pass our contest information on to environmental educators and science teachers through email, listserv or newsletter. Project Polar Bear can be a classroom project that aligns with Next Generation Science Standards<http://www.nextgenscience.org/> by "applying scientific standards of monitoring and minimizing human impact" (MS-ESS3-3). Over the past five years, contestants have inspired long-term change in their communities through sustainable, ongoing projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Registration for this year's contest is September 1-October 31, 2014. Teams will work on their projects through March 15, 2015. We'll announce the winners on Earth Day, April 22, 2015. We're especially interested in how creative teams can successfully engage their community in a sustainable action project. Because PBI believes strongly in rewarding the efforts of individuals who change their communities, a prize of between $500 and $750 in a cash grant will be awarded the highest scoring teams to sustain the effort created in the contest.

Attached you will find our teacher e-blast (contains links for additional information and a contest poster) along with four pictures that can be used to generate student interest in the contest. We appreciate your efforts to help us reach more teachers through your organization. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Kathy
Kathleen Donahue
Project Polar Bear Coordinator