[MSTA ] Fwd: FW: New Math & Science Opportunities

Deborah Duncan deb50duncan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 10:15:14 CDT 2014

From: <Colley>, Ned <ncolley at ti.com>
Date: Thursday, September 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM
To: "Colley, Ned" <ncolley at ti.com>
Subject: New Math & Science Opportunities

  Dear Friends,

Here are some new opportunities and classroom resources. Please feel free
to pass these along to your colleagues who may not get my emails.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help support you, your
colleagues and your students.

Thanks!

Ned

   1. *Vernier Engineering Contest*

Vernier Software is currently accepting applications for its Engineering
Contest, which recognizes *STEM* educators for introducing students to
engineering concepts and practices through innovative uses of Vernier
sensors. Each award will consist of $1,000 in cash, $3,000 in Vernier
technology, and $1,500 toward expenses to attend either the 2015 NSTA STEM
conference or the 2015 ASEE conference. *Three* awards will be given: one
for middle school, one for high school, and one for college. Please visit
http://www.vernier.com/grants/engineering/ for details. Remember, Vernier
sensors are compatible with your TI calculators!

2.       *Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy*

This Academy is a one-week, *all-expenses-paid* professional development
program for teachers of Grades 3-5. Participants will learn interactive
ways to inspire their students in *math and science*. Now, you have the
chance to let your 3-5 grade teachers know how special they are by choosing
them for a chance to go to a cool *math and science camp* next summer. You
can nominate any deserving teacher you know by visiting
http://www.sendmyteacher.com/. Lots of teachers have participated from GA,
AL and more.

   1. *Captain Planet Foundation Grants*

This Foundation funds and supports hands-on environmental projects for
students. The objective is to encourage innovative programs that empower
students around the world to work individually and collectively to solve
environmental problems in their local communities. Grant amounts range
from *$250
to $2,500*. Deadlines for submitting grant applications are *September 30
and January 31*. For more information, please visit
http://captainplanetfoundation.org/apply-for-grants/.

   1. *Siemens Competition in Math, Science & Technology*

Students can compete as individuals or as a member of a team. Individual
projects promote independent research. Team projects foster collaborative
research efforts, as well as individual contributions to the cooperative
endeavor. Scholarships for winning projects range from *$1,000 to $100,000*.
Submissions are due by September 30, 2014. Please visit
https://siemenscompetition.discoveryeducation.com/application/start for all
details. Good luck!

   1. *Understanding Geometry Grants*

The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Improving Students'
Understanding of Geometry Grant seeks to enable students to better
appreciate and understand an aspect of geometry that is consistent with the
council's principles and standards for school mathematics. Projects should
include applications of geometry to art, literature, music, architecture,
nature or other relevant area; they may also *integrate the use of
technology* into the teaching of geometry. For 2015-2016, grants with a
maximum of $4,000 each will be awarded to persons currently teaching grades
PK-8. Projects are to be completed between June 1, 2015 and May 31, 2016.
Please visit http://www.nctm.org/resources/content.aspx?id=198#912 and
check out the many other grant opportunities advertised through NCTM. Apply
for this one by November 7, 2014.

6.       *You Be The Chemist Challenge*

Get your students excited about chemistry with a free, national academic
competition for Grade 5-8 students. The Challenge tests students' knowledge
of chemistry concepts, scientific theories, and laboratory safety in an
engaging, interactive format. Please visit
http://www.chemed.org/ybtc/challenge/ for all details and how to
participate.

   1. *Texas Instruments Product Updates*

Please visit http://education.ti.com for info on the latest events,
curricular resources and product updates. For example:

·         There is an outstanding Leadership Summit in Memphis, TN on
September 16.

·         New Operating Systems for your TI-84 Family, TI Nspire, and
emulator software titles. These are *FREE* updates!

·         Resources for TEKS, CCSS, and NGSS.

·         Browse the hundreds of FREE standards-aligned math and science
activities, a perfect addition to your curriculum planning.

*_________________________________*

*Ned Colley*

*Science Technology Consultant*

*Texas Instruments *

*(770) 406-8822 <%28770%29%20406-8822>*

*ncolley at ti.com <ncolley at ti.com>*

*http://education.ti.com <http://education.ti.com/>*

*If you no longer wish to receive emails from me, let me know and I will
delete you from my list.*

I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which
they can learn. -- Albert Einstein