[MSTA ] Fwd: Gray Whales: Celebration of Conservation, Spring 2015 -- Classroom scholarships available NOW

Deborah Duncan deb50duncan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 21:33:36 CDT 2014

Dear Ms. Duncan and Mississippi Science Teachers Association Members,

How would your elementary school science teachers like whale experts to
share their daily research directly with their students? The Southwest
Fisheries Science Center-NOAA and WhaleTimes, Inc. (nonprofit) have teamed
up once again to offer classrooms the *Gray Whales: Celebration of
Conservation *program. The *Celebration of Conservation* brings gray whale
research into your classrooms in a unique and inviting way and creates a
connection between students, animals and the scientists who study them.

The story of the eastern gray whales, from endangered to thriving, is a
beacon of hope for other conservation efforts. Not so long ago, people
feared gray whales would become extinct. But today, due to protective
measures and researcher, the population so healthy the United States
removed it from the endangered species list.

Scientific efforts continue to keep the population remains healthy and
strong. Find out this spring. A select number of classrooms from around the
country will "virtually" join Southwest Fisheries Science Center-NOAA
scientists at the gray whale field (research) station. The scientists
correspond with classes through daily emails, Q&A, and photographs.
Students will discover more about gray whales, gray whale research, and the
researchers themselves.

This program meets science standards, Common Core, STEM, ocean literacy
standards as well as other standards. It is an excellent culmination of a
classroom's science or conservation curriculum.

Here are the specifics:

Dates:             April 2015 (exact week TBD soon. Based on the timing of
the whales' migration)

Grades:          3rd to 6th grade

Cost:               *Free with scholarship *(funded by grant and donated
time and effort by WhaleTimes and SWFSC scientists)

Scholarship:    Classrooms chosen based on the teacher's submission of a
short [500 word maximum] description of how the teacher will incorporate
gray whales into science, conservation, or other curricula. (Note: To allow
this opportunity at several schools, there are a limited number of
enrollments per school. Please check with WhaleTimes before enrolling more
than two classes.)

For more information or to register visit the WhaleTimes website:
www.whaletimes.org.

*Feel free to post, e-blast to members, or add the above information to
your newsletter. Attached is a fun photo of a gray whale calf you can also
use with the announcement. We look forward to your classes joining us!*

*Ruth*

Ruth A. Musgrave

Director, WhaleTimes, Inc.

19190 SW 90th, #2702

Tualatin, OR 97086

www.whaletimes.org

**WhaleTimes, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation *

I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which
they can learn. -- Albert Einstein