[MSTA ] Fwd: Genes in Space contest for middle and high school students

Deborah Duncan deb50duncan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 20:41:36 CDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Jana C Koubova* <jckoubov at mit.edu>
Date: Thursday, April 9, 2015
Subject: Genes in Space contest for middle and high school students
To: deb50duncan at gmail.com, bdjh99 at gmail.com

Dear Deborah and dear Brandi,

I am writing in hope that you can help me quickly spread this information -
we
are trying to reach science teachers about a current national science
competition for middle school and high school students. Perhaps it could be
posted on the MSTA website or in the newsletter or sent as an email to an
existing science teachers' listserv? The contest is called Genes In Space
and
students are asked to design the very first DNA amplification (PCR)
experiment
to take place at the International Space Station next year. The deadline is
April 30, 2015 and all the information and the ideas can be submitted
online at
www.genesinspace.org

No experiments are necessary - just creative scientific thinking and
interest in
both biology and space. Please, let me know if you have any questions - my
email
is jckoubov at mit.edu <javascript:;>, and my cell is 617-710-3496. Genes in
Space is a joint
effort of Boeing, MiniPCR and Math for America. Thank you very much for
helping
us spread the information to science teachers so their students could take
part!

Best,

Jana Hersch.

------------------------------------
Design and Launch your DNA Experiment to Space!

Genes in Space is a National Science Contest inviting students in grades 7
through 12 to design a pioneering DNA experiment for space. Until April 30,
participants can help solve real-life space exploration problems by
designing
and proposing a DNA analysis experiment to be conducted aboard the
International Space Station (ISS). Five finalist teams will receive
mentoring
from world-class R&D scientists during May and June, and a donation of
miniPCR
equipment for their educational institutions. Finalists will present their
proposals at the 2015 International Space Station R&D Conference, where a
prestigious panel of scientists and educators will select a winner that will
later have their experiment performed 250 miles above the Earth, using a
miniPCR machine aboard ISS.

GenesInSpace.org

I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which
they can learn. -- Albert Einstein