[MSTA ] Fwd: Hurricane Preparedness Webinar for Gulf Coast States: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 10am CT

Deborah Duncan deb50duncan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 14:19:16 CDT 2015

From: *Holly Morin* <holly_morin at uri.edu>
Date: Monday, April 13, 2015
Subject: Hurricane Preparedness Webinar for Gulf Coast States: Tuesday,
To: Holly Morin <holly_morin at uri.edu>
Cc: stat at statweb.org, president at statweb.org, becky at statweb.org,
jekale at bellsouth.net, "tleblanc at AudubonInstitute.org" <
tleblanc at auduboninstitute.org>, chrismv at ufl.edu, dlindst at lsu.edu,
daileyw at tamug.edu, gbic at tamug.edu, info at gulfmex.org, sarapel at utexas.edu,
eric.saillant at usm.edu, Joyce.Shaw at usm.edu, anita.arguelles at usm.edu,
samuel.clardy at usm.edu, simo at marine.usf.edu, jdindo at disl.org,
spranger at ufl.edu, jessica.kastler at usm.edu, Sharon Walker <sharon at imms.org>,
bmccann at ext.msstate.edu

Hi to all,

Please share the below with your members- it is an opportunity for 5th
graders to connect with hurricane scientists and hear from pilots that fly
into hurricanes, while also learning important information to prepare them
for the upcoming 2015 Atlantic Hurricane Season!  If you could please post
the below details to your email lists, social media sites, E-blasts,
newsletters, and other outlets, that would be most helpful.

Many thanks,
  Holly Morin

The *Hurricanes: Science and Society (HSS; www.hurricanescience.org
<http://www.hurricanescience.org/>)* Team is excited to announce that it
has again partnered with the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and the
NOAA Aircraft Operations Center (AOC) to offer *hurricane preparedness
webinars for 5th grade classes*.  We hope your 5th grade classes can join
us for this engaging and informative experience!

The purpose of the webinars is to raise awareness about hurricanes in
advance of the 2015 North Atlantic hurricane season.  During each *free*,
*1-hour* webinar, students will hear from NHC scientists, as well as NOAA
AOC personnel that fly into hurricanes. A presentation on region-specific
hurricane science and preparedness will be given with interactive
questions prompting student responses. Classroom questions will also be
collected in advance of the webinar; as many of these questions as possible
will be answered by the hurricane scientists. Many videos, visualizations,
graphics, and other media will be included to engage students. Introductory
materials and helpful links will also be supplied to all participating
educators.

*Schools/classes wanting to participate MUST REGISTER in advance. *To register,
please go to: *www.hurricanescience.org/webinar
<http://www.hurricanescience.org/webinar>*

*The webinars will be presented by region: Gulf Coast, Southeast,
and Northeast Atlantic.  *Gulf Coast States include: TX, LA, MS, AL, GA,
and FL Panhandle & FL Gulf Coast.  *The Gulf Coast regional webinar will
take place on **Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 10:00am CT (11:00 am ET)*

Please share the above information with other district administrators if
their educators would also be interested!  If there are any questions or
problems, please contact me, Holly Morin (holly_morin at uri.edu
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','holly_morin at uri.edu');>; 401-874-6414).

Many thanks,
  Holly Morin

*******************************
Holly Morin
Marine Research Associate II
University of Rhode Island
Graduate School of Oceanography
holly_morin at uri.edu
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','holly_morin at uri.edu');> (**please
note my updated email address**)
401-874-6414

I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which
they can learn. -- Albert Einstein