[MSTA ] Fwd: New Anatomy & Physiology Resources from HHMI BioInteractive

Sheila Smith ssmith54 at aol.com
Thu Jul 19 14:18:59 CDT 2018

Sheila Smith
NSTA District VII Director, 2017-2020

-----Original Message-----
From: The BioInteractive Team <biointeractive at hhmi.org>
To: SsmitH54 <SsmitH54 at aol.Com>
Sent: Wed, Jul 11, 2018 11:14 am
Subject: New Anatomy & Physiology Resources from HHMI BioInteractive

This BioInteractive newsletter features new resources for teaching anatomy & physiology, including a new interactive and a fantastic educator tip!

                          Email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.

JULY 11, 2018

Sex, Genes, and Gender

Can a single test determine what a person’s biological sex is? Explore the variety of ‘sex verification’ tests used to determine athletes’ eligibility to compete in women’s sporting events in this new interactive, a significant update to our previous resource on sex, genes, and gender. The interactive includes a review of human sexual development and determination, including anatomy, genetics, and physiology, and has students investigate two case studies of fictional athletes before considering a real-world example.

Spotlight on: Alzheimer’s Disease

Untangling Evidence

Alzheimer’s disease strikes one out of nine individuals over the age of 65 in the United States – and the number of affected individuals is expected to increase as the population ages. Yet, there are no available treatments to delay the onset or cure this devastating disease. In this interactive, now with accompanying worksheet, students walk through the anatomy, histology, and genetics of Alzheimer’s to consider possible drug targets for the disease.

Data Point

Clear Significance

Encouragement to get a good night’s sleep? Researchers tested the rates at which beta-amyloid, a protein linked to the development of Alzheimer’s, was cleared from mouse brains when the mice were either awake, asleep, or anesthetized. Their results, seen in the Data Point, showed that mice cleared beta-amyloid at significantly higher rates when sleeping naturally or under anesthetic, showing that beauty rest extends to the brain.

Featured Interactive

Cut and Paste

First described in 2012, CRISPR-Cas9 generated interest both for its exciting potential for treating genetic disease, as well as ethical and safety concerns. Use our new interactive to explore how CRISPR-Cas9 works. And if you’re looking for components from the interactive to use as standalone resources, download the accompanying ZIP file with an animation, gifs, images, and more!

Events and Announcements

Getting Giphy With It

If you like the gifs we produce for social media and want to use them in your classroom, check out our new Giphy channel, featuring easily downloadable gifs from a variety of resources.

Educator Tip

Tying It All Together

I'm a university teacher in México City and my class is about cellular biology. We reviewed mutations and proteins related to some human genetic diseases. So it was really useful and interesting to my students to work with the hands-on activity “How Do Fibers Form?,” available on the BioInteractive Español website. All the resources are great! The student handout, teacher handout, questions at the end of activity and the complementary resources. I would suggest using 18-cm diameter mesh circles for this activity: They worked perfectly to form hemoglobin fibers inside our 'sickle cells.' – Janet García Pillado, M. Sc (National Autonomous University of Mexico City (UNAM), MX)

​
Do you have a favorite BioInteractive resource and want to tell us how you use it in your class? Email us the tip at outreach at hhmi.org. If we feature yours, we'll send you a T-shirt!

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe to our list