[MSTA ] FDA Professional Development Program in Food Science

Brandi Herrington bdjh99 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 15:39:39 CST 2020

FDA Professional Development Program in Food Science

The following is information about a wonderful, fully, professional
development opportunity for teachers.

Foodborne disease outbreaks and food recalls frequent the news. What
organisms cause these diseases? What can an individual do to protect
themselves from these diseases? What measures are being taken by the
federal government to prevent transmission of these diseases?

Teachers have an opportunity to provide inquiry-based lessons related to
these outbreaks, recalls, and nutrition.  Lessons can be found in the
curriculum Science and Our Food Supply developed jointly by FDA and NSTA.
And, in order to prepare teachers to use these lessons, FDA provides a free
multidimensional professional development program that will take place July
12 – 18, 2020 in Washington, DC. Included in the program is transportation
to and from Washington and all housing and meal expenses.

During the program, the selected teachers will participate in activities
such as the following - meet with FDA and USDA scientists to learn about
their current research on foodborne diseases and nutrition; work with
instructors to learn proper techniques to use in doing all the labs with
their own students; and, tour USDA’s farm in Beltsville, MD.

Selected teachers are asked to implement the supplemental curriculum in
their classrooms during the 2020 - 2021 school year and to do a hands-on
workshop on the curriculum for other teachers.

To apply on line – deadline April 24, 2020- go to:
http://www.teachfoodscience.org/apply.asp

 The Science and Our Food Supply curriculum guides on which the summer
program is based are available from this website -
https://www.fda.gov/food/students-teachers/science-and-our-food-supply#food_safety.
We strongly suggest you review these guides before applying for the summer
workshop.

For more information, contact Mimi Cooper

Mimi Cooper

FDA Summer Program Facilitator

St. Augustine, FL

mimcooper63 at gmail.com

978-766-0107

http://www.teachfoodscience.org/index.asp

--
*Brandi Duncan-Herrington *
*Mississippi Science Teachers Association - *Program/Session Coordinator